Tuesday 19 February 2013

Hot. Water.

Anamnesis:
Working on a 1:35 prototype for science fiction troopers that I plan to make in "28mm" size. I'm actually intending to sculpt them in 1:52 which is 34mm for a 1.8m height person. I'm also making a 1:52 cyberpunk character and working closely with a reference image I've taken.


The planetFaller is gonna need some shoulder plates and there's a bit of work to finish the rifle. I think maybe the hands are a little thin or off balance; I'll look into it. I'm debating with myself what the shoulder plates should be like, either angular or rounded and how much they should cover.

An interesting discovery. As you know I'm working with the so called "Green Stuff" which is a bi-componental polymeric putty. It's been a little cold around here the past couple of days and the putty was extremely tough and not as sticky when freshly mixed. I assumed before that it was because the putty was old but I just got a new batch and I figured out that it behaved differently because of the cold.

I was drinking tea so I stuck the putty on the side of the mug in order to heat it which caused a remarkable change: it had become very soft, almost liquid. The surface texture was matte. I removed it from the tea cup (it left a mark) and put a piece on a disposable cup filled with hot water. The rest I simply used.

Two interesting developments from then on: I used hot water to heat my tool whenever I wanted to "weld" or blend two masses of putty together. The more liquid state of the heated putty made this a much easier task than it had been before. The other was that the putty on the cup cured at a highly increased rate; It was expected. So while heat caused the putty's chemical reaction to hasten it also made the particles flow more freely. 

It might be early for conclusions but I intend to incorporate hot water into my workflow, at least for mixing edges.








No comments: