Thanks to some good advice on the minisculpture.co.uk forums I've come to the inevitable realisation that the torso was severely under sized. I knocked the pouches off with a spear pointed wax carver and added material to match my proportional reference. The difference was around 1 mm for the width and 2 mm for the depth(that's a lot!). The details are a bit sharper now and I think it blends in to the previous layer rather well.
While the material was wet I pushed the pouches back into place. I might sharpen the detail on the top flap of them because it looks a little smudgy.
I've also added the m92 helmet. The shape is a little off but I hope to remedy that when I add the helmet cover.
I was also told that all Bundeswehr infantry were issued a p8 pistol so that will go with a quick draw holster on the front left top of the vest.