Wednesday 25 July 2012

When life gives you limes you try to hold as many as you can simultaneously

Can't seem to get around to sculpting lately. I wish I could progress faster. I guess them's the brakes, so to speak. I'll get there in the end. 

I added the helmet and arm. Doing a little experiment I discovered that if I cut through the baked FIMO it cracks and can fall off the Green Stuff so I pre cut the Green Stuff armature and baked on top of that. I'll do some sort of fitting between the parts. I need to come up with some way of temporarily re affixing the arm later on. It's important to be able to see the figure as a whole. Maybe Cyanoacrylate glue and then twist it off  when I'm done (low shear strength). I'm concerned a little about its heat liquefying properties. We'll see what happens. 


The hand had to come off because of several reasons. For casting you can't have trapped negative spaces so  with the hands holding a gun there's really no way to cast without separating the arms. I had written earlier about my desire for customizable figures and modular parts is part of that; I need to learn how to do it. I want to have better access to the main body and I can't reach with a huge arm in the way.


I think next I'll do the thorax and helmet straps (maybe in Green Stuff). After that there's another arm, another boot, a holster and various equipment. Write your suggestions in the comments if you have any. After that it's on to the next guy who will be in a slightly improved FIMO technique which will be awesome. (but not as awesome as the guy I make AFTER THAT ONE)



No comments: