The x95 v.01 is done. I'm dissatisfied with the surface and detail fidelity. It looks nice enough and I'm sure it will look good as a painted part of a miniature but I really would like to push it a lot further and get a better result.
V.02I tried using only brown stuff on paper with promising results:
But I couldn't fix it in place after removing it from the paper without damaging it for working on the other side. I scrapped it.
I did the same thing but with a wire going down the middle.
I sanded it down flat and mounted it on the cork. Alas, it was too thin and brown stuff dries to become hard, but also very brittle and does not adhere well to the surface it's connected to. It started to separate at the middle. I did some patching but V.03 is now scrapped.
V.04 is here seen with the second layer on it and the remains of V.03 on the left. The main body has thin copper wire as armature for the parts which are sticking out and thin steel wire for the main portion. I'm using green stuff for the base layer which should make it stronger. The final detail layers will be in brown stuff for flat surfaces and green stuff for round bits. You can already see the flash hider on the barrel.
All this mechanical business going on. I thought I had better start on the figures as well so beginning with the armature I made some skulls to make heads on.
The one with the partially open jaw came out great, I think. The other two might need some post production, so to speak.